Sunday 2 August 2015

Blaugust Day 2 - 5 things you might not know about me

This comes from a writing prompt provided by Jaedia of the Dragons and Whimsy Blog, 5 things you might not know about me, so here goes.


  • At the end of school, before college I had two areas of potential study that I could follow. My love for computers, mostly fueled by my love of computer gaming and my love for cooking. Knowing full well that computers were just a fad and there would be no future in a career in so called  "IT", whereas people would always want to eat, I followed my passion and became a chef. I like to think somewhere there's a much richer version of me in an alternate universe reaping the rewards of jumping of the computer bandwagon.

  • When I was about 11 whilst doing a paper-round I was hit by a speeding car. I was sent flying straight over bonnet and landing on the road behind. I had neither a scratch or a broken bone on me (but now have a very real fear of cars)

  • At around the age of 14 I was on a school skiing trip in Pinzolo, Italy. Our group was caught in the mountains as fog was descending and we were rushed down by our instructors. In the hurry to get clear, I hit a rock and my stick smacked me in the eyebrow. The instructor managed to ease the bleeding with snow and get me to hospital where I had several stitches. An inch lower and I would have been blinded in that eye.

  • During my work placement from College I worked in the kitchens of Gleneagles Hotel, the 5 star golfing resort in Perthshire, Scotland. Whilst there I was tasked with cooking breakfast for a well known member of the Royal Family who had just split from his wife. It was 8am and he was smashed on whisky.

  • Whilst managing a Wine Bar in Covent Garden I also worked in the company's Cigar shop. There I encountered legendary actor, Edward Woodward who came looking for a specific brand of cigarettes (which we didn't sell) and I ended selling him a Cuban cigar.


This post is part of the Blaugust 2015 initiative. If you are interested in taking part, all the information can be found by clicking the logo below.


7 comments:

  1. Wow, talk about lucky! I definitely do not blame you at all for having a fear of cars after that near miss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ayeaye! I don't believe in guardian angels, but perhaps you got one after all..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have actually had an encounter with my guardian angel, but that's for another post :)

      Delete
  3. I didn't know you cooked! What do you consider your best dish or what food are you most passionate about making right now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I moved from cooking to management in the Wine trade, as least in my professional life, but it still cook at home. My preference is for Chinese and Malaysian food, my favourite dish to both eat and cook is Beef Rendang, a dark rich beef stew made with lemongrass and coconut milk from Malaysia.

      Delete
  4. Wow, lots of close calls. Is that why you consider yourself on the 'Knifesedge'? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually the name comes from my old fantasy RPG play by mail company, Knifesedge PBeMs but it does seem coincidental.

      Delete